The information contained in this blog is essentially reading notes made by the original author on material that came across his attention as matters of interesting and is intended for the personal use of the reader, who accepts full responsibility for its use. We make no representation that information contained in the blog came solely from reliable sources, and we are not responsible for any errors or omissions, or for the results obtained from the use of this information. We have the right to update, omit, make complete or otherwise make changes to this information, as and when we deem necessary, without notice. All information in this blog is provided with no guarantee of completeness, accuracy, timeliness, or the results obtained from the use of this information, and without warranty of any kind, express or implied, including, but not limited to warranties of performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose.
Occasionally we have guests authors post on this blog. The views and opinions expressed by any guest author in this blog are those of the guest author alone and do not necessarily represent those of the original author and other guest authors. The completeness, accuracy and timeliness of information contained in any and all guest posts are not guaranteed and we accept no liability for any errors, omissions or representations. The copyright of the contents of guest posts belong to their respective authors and any liability with regards to infringement of intellectual property rights remains with them.
Ella Zoyara (b.1840-d.1879) was the star trick-rider of the Great World Circus, the first circus to ever come to town in Hong Kong. Six shows were given by the circus from March 27, 1868 before it left for its next destination - Manila. Unbeknown to the circus-goers in Hong Kong, the St. Louis born Zoyara was in fact a man named Omar Kingsley and that he was even married - to a woman named Sallie Stickney. Zoyara's "true" gender was discovered in Manila and as a result both she (he) and the circus master Adolf Gonsalez were thrown into jail.
This is one of the over 600 fun facts about Hong Kong, as far as the first of its kind events go, that are included in the Welcome page under Who's Who and What's What.
- This Blog
- Reading Room
- Who's Who & What's What
- Australia National Library / Trove Digitized newspaper
- The Chinese Repository (1834-1851)
- The Guardian (1899-1999)
- Historical Laws of Hong Kong Online
- History 1739-1844 from the Newspaper
- Hong Kong and the West until 1860
- Hong Kong Government Report Online (1842-1941)
- Hong Kong Journals Online
- Hong Kong Public Libraries / Multimedia Information System
- Index to CO129, Great Britain. Colonial Office, Original Correspondence: Hong Kong
- Pre-1950 HK Books (English), Special Collections, HKU Libraries
- Singapore National Library / NewspeperSG
- UK Gazettes (London, Edinburgh, Belfast)
- University of British Columbia, Theses and Dissertations
- 香港年鑑 第一回至第四十七回 (Hong Kong Year Book 1948-1994)
Popular Posts (7 Days)
- Hospitals In The Nineteenth Century
- The 28 Governors of Hong Kong
- Maps And Surveys
- Inspecteur Quincey And His Master Dramatist Son
- Beauty Queen Goes To Hollywood
- Newsies In The Nineteenth Century
- The First Ladies
- First Man Killed By Shark
- Dr. Alexander Anderson, Hong Kong's First Colonial Surgeon
- I Was An Elephant Handler
From Rudi Butt
I am taking the rest of the summer off and will reply to your email/comments when I am back. Thank you for your patience and I hope you too will have an enjoyable summer. (6/24/2016)
I was unable to get "image magnifier" and "table sorter" to work, both of these jquery plugins have not functioned for more than a month. Please be patient while I try and figure out a way to have the problems fixed. Thank You. (1/15/2017)
Other Websites by Me
Powered by Blogger.
1840s 1850s 1860s 1870s 1880s 1890s 1900s 1910s 1920s 1930s 1940s 1950s 1960s 1970s 1980s 1990s 2000s 2010s A aviation B building structure C China community D disaster doctor education entertainment everyday live F finance and economics First Lady G government governor H History Hong Kong I IPO J K L land transportation law enforcement legal listed building M Marine Life maritime media medical military minister N O organization P pastor people places Pre-1840 Q Qing R S science sociocultural spiritual sports Stock Stock Exchange T U V W Women world World War II Y