Ella Zoyara (b.1840-d.1879) was the star trick-rider of the Great World Circus, the first circus to ever come to town in Hong Kong. Six shows were given by the circus from March 27, 1868 before it left for its next destination - Manila. Unbeknown to the circus-goers in Hong Kong, the St. Louis born Zoyara was in fact a man named Omar Kingsley and that he was even married - to a woman named Sallie Stickney. Zoyara's "true" gender was discovered in Manila and as a result both she (he) and the circus master Adolf Gonsalez were thrown into jail.
This is one of the over 600 fun facts about Hong Kong, as far as the first of its kind events go, that are included in the Welcome page under Who's Who and What's What.
- This Blog
- Reading Room
- Who's Who & What's What
- Australia National Library / Trove Digitized newspaper
- The Chinese Repository (1834-1851)
- The Guardian (1899-1999)
- Historical Laws of Hong Kong Online
- History 1739-1844 from the Newspaper
- Hong Kong and the West until 1860
- Hong Kong Government Report Online (1842-1941)
- Hong Kong Journals Online
- Hong Kong Public Libraries / Multimedia Information System
- Index to CO129, Great Britain. Colonial Office, Original Correspondence: Hong Kong
- Pre-1950 HK Books (English), Special Collections, HKU Libraries
- Singapore National Library / NewspeperSG
- UK Gazettes (London, Edinburgh, Belfast)
- University of British Columbia, Theses and Dissertations
- 香港年鑑 第一回至第四十七回 (Hong Kong Year Book 1948-1994)
Popular Posts (7 Days)
From Rudi Butt
I am taking the rest of the summer off and will reply to your email/comments when I am back. Thank you for your patience and I hope you too will have an enjoyable summer. (6/24/2016)
I was unable to get "image magnifier" and "table sorter" to work, both of these jquery plugins have not functioned for more than a month. Please be patient while I try and figure out a way to have the problems fixed. Thank You. (1/15/2017)
Other Websites by Me
Powered by Blogger.
Thursday, August 13, 2009 at 11:27 AM | By: Rudi Butt
1844, Hollywood Road (荷李活道)
1908 photo of the corner of Hollywood Street and Wyndham Street. The building is the former headquarters and milk distributing centre of Dairy Farm Ice and Cold Storage Co, established in 1892. The present appearance of the southern section was the result of this extensive renovation which was completed in 1913. The building was gave to the government in 1980 and currently houses the Foreign Correspondents' Club (外國記者協會) and the Fringe Club in (藝穗會).
1840s 1850s 1860s 1870s 1880s 1890s 1900s 1910s 1920s 1930s 1940s 1950s 1960s 1970s 1980s 1990s 2000s 2010s A aviation B building structure C China community D disaster doctor education entertainment everyday live F finance and economics First Lady G government governor H History Hong Kong I IPO J K L land transportation law enforcement legal listed building M Marine Life maritime media medical military minister N O organization P pastor people places Pre-1840 Q Qing R S science sociocultural spiritual sports Stock Stock Exchange T U V W Women world World War II Y