Updated on October 20, 2009
Hong Kong's First Post Office was established in August 1841.
General Post Office Building: the first generation (1841-1846) was located where the Central Government Offices are now. The 2nd generation GPO building (1846-1911) was located on Queen's Road Central near the corner of Pedder Street. The 3rd generation (1911-1976) was located at the corner of Pedder Street and Des Veoux Road Central - where the World Wide House is.
The Old Wan Chai Post Office, situated at the junction of Wan Chai Gap Road and Queen's Road East, is the oldest surviving post office building in Hong Kong. The L-shaped building was erected between 1912 and 1913, and opened on March 1, 1915 as the Wan Chai Post Office. Featuring a simple pitched-roof structure with gable ends and mouldings, the building became a declared monument on May 18, 1990, and is now operated by the Environmental Protection Department as a resource center.